In many working environments, noisy computers distract employees and take large parts of the often little space. That’s why it’s useful to remove computers to remote, access-protected server rooms. But how do you access your files and data without computers at your desk? That’s where KVM extenders come in handy.
What are KVM extenders?
As the name suggests, KVM extenders extend computer signals. The systems consist of a transmitter and a receiver. Connected to the computer’s standard interfaces and placed in remote server rooms, the transmitter forwards keyboard, video and mouse signals to the receiver placed at the desk. Transmitter and receiver are placed apart from each other in two different locations. Both units are connected via existing CAT cables of fibre optics. In addition to keyboard, video and mouse signals most devices transmit other signals as well.
Which signals do KVM extenders extend?
KVM-Extender generally extend the following signals:
- Digital (DVI) and/or analogue (VGA) video signals via one or multiple video channels
- Keyboard/mouse (PS/2 & USB) USB 1.1, USB 2.0
- Remote power switching
Signal extenders let you extend single signals like RS232, USB2.0, audio, DVI and VGA.
How do you benefit from applying KVM extenders?
We could also ask: How do you benefit from offices without computers? Because that’s what you get when applying KVM extenders. In the following, I will show you how KVM extenders improve the working environment in post production.
Those among you who work in broadcasting know that computers in this industry require high performance. But computers with high performance cause heat and fan noises. They also take away lots of valuable space. Of course that’s distracting especially when certain tasks demand maximum concentration. A working environment without computers provides you with the following advantages:
- More space in cramped confines (OB vans, studios)
- Highest concentration without fan noise, heat and radiations from computers at desks
- Reduced energy costs for peripherals and air conditioning
- Computers in a central server room are easier to maintain
- Maintenance doesn’t distract employees
- Expensive equipment placed in access-protected server room
Since KVM extenders are hardware solutions, there are no costs for additional software.
By: Bianca Schmidt
(Image: Tony Hegewald/pixelio.de)
- Remote training courses – Corona-compliant training for your KVM systems - 22. April 2021
- Nice to Know – Exclusive Mode in G&D KVM Extenders - 20. January 2021
- RemoteAccess-GATE: operating KVM systems over IP at any time and from anywhere - 12. January 2021